Album Cover

null

The only thing I don’t like about this is how the word “Aviary” got put there in the corner, eager to advertise where this was made. Seriously, is there any way to get rid of that? It’s kind of distracting, but it happens for everything I make on Aviary.

Anyways, this was for the assignment that involved finding a randomly generated Wikipedia article, quote, and picture and putting them together to make the cover of an album. The band name here, “I, Jonathan”, happens to itself be the name of an album by someone named Jonathan Richman. The full quote was “A man who doesn’t trust himself can never truly trust anyone else”, said by someone named Cardinal de Retz. Taking the last five words makes it seem much more angsty. And the picture is… well, a picture of someone’s dog. Applying a black-and-white, semi-transparent radial gradient made even that look artsy.

No Responses to “Album Cover”

1. I agree wholeheartedly with Alan on the record label idea.

I’ll also back up Jim by saying that I do all of my Photoshop-type stuff in GIMP–not just because I’m a big advocate of open source software, but because GIMP can generally do whatever you need to do. Photoshop is really for the pros who do this kind of thing for a living and demand a much higher degree of performance from their software. Also, while I’m on my soap box, I’ll say that you can you find a lot of interesting user-made plugins for GIMP that do some pretty radical things!

2. David Gurri says:

Yeah, I was downloading the trial version of Photoshop as I made this… but as with everything, it’s become more complicated than it should be. I’ve supposedly installed it now even though I can’t find the icon or any way to open it. Oh well, I guess it’s more free online tools for now.

3. Jim says:

David,
    I love the ay the trust and the dog play off one another. You can’t trust anyone else, but maybe a dog. Love the idea of Aviary as a record label, as Alan notes, but must admit it is annoying. Did you search on Google if anyone else found a way. Ic an only think to crop it out in GIMP, but that doubles your work. You might want to download and experiment with the free trial version of Photoshop now that you have played with GIMP and see how you like that. You can also use it to fix this Avairy branding label quite easily.

4. Alan Liddell says:

You can think of Aviary as the record label.

5. Compared to your “boring, effortless poster,” as you called it, it’s really clear that you put a lot of thought into this and I think it really shows.