I Can Read Forrest Gump

Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know when you’ll find a shrimp inside. Wait, huh?

Forrest Gump was actually a book to begin with, but the movie was so much more popular that it basically faded into obscurity. Anyways, I hope it’s clear that a box of chocolates is what’s being portrayed there. For the most part, it’s just a bunch of colored shapes; chocolates aren’t easy to portray in a minimalist style. Most of this was made from scratch, the exception being that shrimp, which I got from Google images.

No Responses to “I Can Read Forrest Gump”

1. David Gurri says:

Thanks! The problem with darker background colors was that the chocolates kind of blended in with them… I’m sure there’s a better color I could have used somewhere out there, but pink was the best I could come up with.

2. Ben says:

I read the sequel, and other than Forrest inventing New Coke, it was utterly forgettable. Perhaps if he had had another box of chocolates, or a bag of those mystery salt water taffies that are left at the end of the day no one wants to eat, that would have been something.

The shrimp in the box is very inspired!

3. Jim says:

Brilliant, I love ho the book is shaped like a box of chocolates too. This could be a real book, kinda like a kids book taking you through the entire movie, simple drawings, simple text, and Gumpisms. Very, very well done!

4. Stella Meme says:

That’s great. I really like it.
    There’s something a bit harsh about the pink background. Perhaps a darker background and less of the sharp mask (white edging) on the chocolate shapes would be easier on the eyes.
    I really like the overall look, though, almost reminds me of the primary school readers from when I was a kid, that were levelled based on reading ability.