A trip down ds106 memory lane

Simply put, Windows Live Movie Maker sucks. I don’t want to use stronger language than that, but I would have to if I wanted to describe just how much it sucks. According to the info I found searching the web, it actually has less features than the earlier versions. The hell? It’s completely lacking in features, and the features it does have are totally unintuitive.

I tried downloading the trial version of Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas, but as usual, technology is not on my side – after hours of trying, I couldn’t access either one. So I used Windows Live Movie Maker for the above project, which in part explains why it has so many problems. The timing is poor, and the text is awkward and doesn’t move. The thing is, whenever I tried to fix these problems it ended up creating even more problems. The computer problems I mentioned in the last post are still around, and they’re definitely no help, either. In the end, I just said to hell with it and submitted this.

By the way, after submitting that video – but before finishing this post – I both upgraded Windows Live Move Maker to the superior 2011 version, and might have figured out how to get to my Adobe Premiere trial. So maybe the next video will be a little better. For now, here’s a non-comprehensive compilation of the stuff I’ve made in the past four weeks.

ds106 Recap from David Gurri on Vimeo.

3 Responses to “A trip down ds106 memory lane”

1. Jim Groom says:

David,

It is powerful to see all the stuff you have created over the last month. You have some solid work in their. The Link audio story, the I can Read Movies, and you forgot your radio show—I loved the comparisons you drew between ds106 and Summer camp.

One issue you seem to have fostered throughout the semester is your struggle with computers, which for me almost seems to take away from the creative stuff we are working on. Technology is not your enemy, and framing it as such just seems to be counterproductive. This class is not necessarily about mastering audio, design, video, etc. in such a short period of time—but rather about understanding how you can find , share, and provide resources for making it easier. Making the man/woman vs tech frame inform this doesn’t really help you at all. What are the issues you are having, what kind of help do you need, how can you find it, etc. This is about taking responsibility for the work you do and learning how to do it. It is crucial, and it will in many ways frame 99% of the learning you do after college, much of which will be mediated by the web, networks, social media, and the internet more generally. Time to stop suggesting this is necessarily an internecine battle and understand it is a process of understanding.

2. David Gurri says:

Thanks! I actually downloaded Cantasia after I saw this, since I was having problems with Adobe. Unfortunately, Cantasia failed to solve those problems… but thanks anyway.

3. Boy, you could have been describing my experience with the programs as well. I had the same reactions. MovieMaker has less functionality than before? WT… (you know the rest).
    But I happily stumbled on to Camtasia which has what MovieMaker used to have and much more. And, there is a month-long free demo download. I would have never thought to go to Camtasia except that I was committed to doing a powerpoint animation which I converted to a movie. I’m sure Adobe would be a good choice as well.
    It was nice to see all your work in one place. I certainly can’t say I did that much work. So congratulations.